Dreamzzz, Desires n Desperation...: Which Team to cheer for in Indian Premier League??

Feb 21, 2008

Which Team to cheer for in Indian Premier League??

Zone wise, I should be cheering up for Kolkata team because I belong to that zone. Dhoni was an year senior to me in my school and I treat him more like an inspiration (not for cricket but rather for his money making prowess and why not? none of his classmates have made even a million dollar till now and look at him..) so that gives me a reason to root in for Chennai team. My cricketing heroes are Sachin, Sehwag, Dravid, Kumble and Yuvraj so that give me reasons to watch matches including any of these players (Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Mohali). For the pure pleasure of cricket I would like to see Afridi, Gilchrist, Symonds and Gibbs playing for the same team so that makes it 7 out of 8. Jaipur has Shane Warne but I don't know how he fares in this boom boom format.

So 7 teams to support but at the same time, I would never want Mcgrath to get Sachin out on duck, I would never want to see Kumble trapping Sehwag LBW or Mohd Kaif plucking a brilliant catch of Yuvraj Singh off a Shane Warne delivery. I wouldn't want to see Ishant Sharma celebrating after uprooting the stumps of Dhoni and VVS Laxman congratulating Andrew Symonds for a brilliant run out. I don't want to see Dhoni shouting "come on Murali" from behind the wickets when Yuvraj hits Murali for a boundary.

What to do, whom to cheer for? This IPL is surely giving a lot of options (but who needs all these options). Some even say that this one event is going to change the history of cricket. May be, but the best option left for a cricket fan like me is to hopelessly follow some of the matches with no emotions involved, no India taking on Australia or Pakistan and nothing like South Africa choking up in a big match. To Keep the boredom away a bucket of popcorn and a can of Pepsi might prove useful.

No comments: