Dreamzzz, Desires n Desperation...: Goodies for SALE

Jan 27, 2008

Goodies for SALE

Where are you? Time to go shopping..

Come January and the whole city is painted with the fliers notifying SALE. Everything is up for grabs right from apparels to furniture and bed room linen to bathroom fixtures. The shopping really becomes a pain these days. You don't need it but still you buy it with the expectations that you might need it in future. Ever wonder what the 'sellers' gain from the SALE? I have certain hypothesis like 'Winter Sale' means what did not sell well last year is up on the offer and 'Fresh Stock' word attached to it signifies that its coming straight from the godowns. The logical explanation for missing buttons and loose thread is "shipping and handling defects" (the same will be termed wardrobe malfunction if the discovery is made by someone else other than you).

Normally there are two kinds of SALE that you see in India the stock clearance one and the other 'occasion related' (Holi, Deewali, Pujo, Pongal, New Year, Christmas etc etc) SALE. While the occasion based SALE targets the family savings, the stock clearance sale mainly strives for a preponed purchase as the company has to fill the shelves with the new stock. I am confused about the way the companies are trying to clear their stocks. Some brands are putting on goodies for SALE like three times in an year and I think that they sell more during these 2-3 months than what they sell during the entire year and that's a clear indication that people believe that these goods are really overprices during the 'normal' season.

Or what else could explain the sheer volume of visitors to the Genesis showroom which is running a promotion of 50% flat discount since last two weeks. Normally on any weekend evening I hardly find 4-5 customers in the showroom but last Wednesday it was like 100s of them crowding both the floors and some even waiting outside for a entry. The same with John Players. They were having 40% off and there was a big crowd in the shop which normally sees 20-30 visitors on average and I guess less than 20 purchases a day. But during promotion time, I myself witnessed about 10 bills being made in a brief 40-45 minutes period.

Given the increase in footfalls, I was amused that how these companies are funding the sale because it doesn't make a business sense to keep those stock piling up while you know that their real perceived price is 30-50% low than the marked price. So what is the catch? And I doesn't have to look for long..

Westside who is running promotion of upto 50% off has done a great thing. I visited their stores somedays back and I wanted to see whether the thing that I have bought have become cheaper or not? (Feels like shit if you can relate to the feeling of getting duped because of your bad timing, any investors here??) So, I saw a change in the store layout. What was there a couple of weeks ago was missing and it was replaced with other goodies (I hope you understand). There was sale only on selected items (it ring any bells?) and majority of that was something you won't buy until you are desperately longing for that item. Later I found out that John Players did exactly the same thing. They shifted all the 'non sale' item to the second floor and well given that move, you are not left with enough options to choose from.

Pantaloon's sale was not even worth checking as it was a winter sale in Chennai where there ain't no winters. (Great, but who knows they might be targeting those people who are traveling to North in the recent future and might need a pullover or two. See, you just can't really doubt the genius of Biyani type).

I like window shopping but the girls always insist to walk into the stores. They like touch and feel well, if I enter a shop I really feel embarrassed in walking out without buying something
(something which my closest friend hate about me and I think it always burns a hole in my pocket too). So I did buy a shirt and the T-Shirt that I liked was not available for sale and which I thought was really overpriced at the MRP. Late in the night I checked online and bought it (the risk is that whatever you buy online people feel it's from Paymate gift coupons, great!). Well, they sent me a Hrithik poster also but I think it would have been a lot better if they mention their next 'Sale' date so that I don't make a fool of myself for buying in the 'regular season'.

1 comment:

Who M I said...

hi there!
liked the way u expressed ur shopping experience kool huh!..but ur bad luck is that u will have to accompany me 4 the next shopping even..till then enjoy :)
reading ur posts after a long time..but enjoying..