Dreamzzz, Desires n Desperation...: PTU at it's Predictable Best..

Jun 7, 2006

PTU at it's Predictable Best..

If you ask a final year engineering student at PTU that "What terrifies you most?" Without hesistation he will reply, Advanced Computer Architecture. This is one paper which is the most dreaded subject and is compulsary for every computer engineering student. But then, if you ask me that What's most predictable about PTU then I'll say, the pattern of question papers. It was my hunch that has helped me finally and I am now happily posting on this blog after completing a marathon three hours paper (three hour paper indeed seems like a marathon to lesser mortals like us who only study during the last couple of days and sometime don't even have enough material to go on for three hours). I remember that, in the afternoon I went to one of my friend's room and asked him to study the simplest topic in the syllabus and said that this question will be there. To my utter disbelief, it was there and was the first question of 20% weightage.

During the last few minutes before the schedule of start, my friend Mayank walked into my room and seeing my condition he asked " Should I say this just in time, or the last minute, die-hard effort?" I said call it anything but this question will be there and again it was there. So 20% more and that too just in time. There were three other questions of the same weightage which I have crammed during the last moment. So i guess that the paper was a bit predictable and ofcourse, all theoretical..

Now, if you see the syllabus, it's the vague definition of the whole advanced computer architecture. No detailed information was there and it seems that the designer has copied and pasted texts from the prescribed book into the syllabus manual. It spans almost all the topics and everybody was confused as what to read and what not to? Well, this was not the question for me as being a late starter I am always left with only one option, to do only whatI can. I was really worried about this paper and now when it went smoothly I guess, I can sleep light tonight.

The fact is that PTU examination papers are becoming more and more theory oriented and all it test is your aptitutde for a three hour examination paper. If you can sit there for three hours and even write all the rubbish you want you will get a good score. But, could you afford to be reckless like this in your normal life? Well this is something to think about, but I don't want to waste my time in doing useless stuff like thinking and planning..After all I have to do a lot of cramming for the next paper.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi raj
i am a ptu student tooo..but have a different view than that u hold for ptu exams.the thing is u cant write all rubbish and just pass .i wrote bakwass in 2 papers and got supply in the same.anyways enjoy life.