Dreamzzz, Desires n Desperation...: Between Competition and Complacency..

Oct 15, 2006

Between Competition and Complacency..

I think that these two words represent two extremes of characters. You can survive your under-graduation easily being complacent but for a professional post graduation degree, being competitive is the key. Now, again it’s a matter of personal values and attitude which subconsciously moulds your character. First trimester is over and with 2 A- and one B in 3 subjects here I am, feeling the heat for being complacent for all this time.

Studying hard and working like a dog has never been my priority and I think that till now, whatever I have achieved even if it’s not substantial at-least is significant and that is where complacency creeps in. My feeling of satiation with whatever I have achieved or with the pace of my life is the thing which is becoming the matter of concern for me. I see life as a set of priorities. You assign weightage to them and the way a person decides and assigns weightage to their priorities makes them unique in their approach towards life. For some a good salary could be of higher priority then having a family or vice-versa. However, the priorities keep changing depending on the environment. And again the pace of change varies from one individual to another.

In a B-School setup, I think that the change is pre dominant. The pace of this change gives you the competitive edge over others. People have started complaining that I have changed but when I try to see around me I think that they all have changed. The change is everywhere, in their conducts, in their behaviors and in their level of academic commitments. I might have changed too but then I still sleep for 10 hours a day. I tried to think about it but then decided against it as it’s not worth that much of my time. Analyzing people’s behavior and molding my behavior accordingly is now out of my priorities for the next one and half year at-least. “A rough exterior is what you need to protect that softness inside”.

I still remember that during our initial days of confusion and chaos here, one of my friends asked me that what these people are going to do with us to transform us into managers? I was unable to answer this question then but now I think that I have an answer. They will teach us how to get our priorities right. And that’s all.

No comments: