Dreamzzz, Desires n Desperation...: In the Shower I nearly Burnt Myself..

May 8, 2007

In the Shower I nearly Burnt Myself..

Strange it may sounds but its true. You all might be knowing that I am in Chennai. Add to this that I am living on the top floor of my hostel building and you can imagine (No Air condition of course). Well, last night I remember it was incredibly hot and I went off to sleep at around 3, I woke up completely drenched with sweat (6:30) and all I could do is to stand in the shower holding a tooth brush. The morning shower is such a luxurious feeling here that you will probably regret if you miss it. But then just one shower won't do as if you are staying in the hostel you are forced to pour water on your body after a regular interval. Water is the only relief from this heat. I remember my parents telling me this to drink a lot of water and coconut water in Chennai as one is good for health and the other is good protection from heat. But then, I find coconut water extremely costly here in comparison with that of Patna, Delhi or Patiala. For 7 Rs a piece in other states you have to shell out some 15 bucks in Chennai if you can't speak the local dialect.

Shower? Burnt? What the hell this means?
Well, it was about noon and my friend Shweta asked me for the lunch. I soon realized that I am again sweating profusely sitting in my room and I can't go to computer lab also as it is normally occupied by the ICICI trainees. So then, I decided to take a quick shower and entered into the shower. I turned on the shower and the touch of the water made me shout. The water was boiling hot as I forgot that its afternoon and its Chennai. The water was boiling in the tanks since last 4 hours and its so hot that it can cause good damage if you stay in the shower. My god! You can't sleep properly, you can't shower properly. What the heck is this?

Survival theory ->
But well, I know that long back one Mr. Darwin proposed survival and evolution theory, I guess if you can survive the heat in Chennai you are ready to work in even Sub Saharan Africa (people even give this theory to us hahaha, perhpas they ignore that we could have our relatives/friends working in Africa also and we can be close to reality). We are supposed to earn at least enough to buy the basic comforts of life. And if we can't then what is the rationale behind professional education?

Moral Responsibility ->
Anyways, my call is that it should be the morale responsibility of the institute administration to provide air-condition accomodation to the student living on the top floors or for that matter even for all the students. There might be cost concerns but there are numerous ways to cut costs in other areas. We might cite example from the past that very few of the institute in Chennai provide that kind of facilities but then I firmly believe that those few will surely survive and achieve a better growth rate then lot of others. A comfortable accommodation is largely becoming a hygiene factor and if it won't be there, it will cause dissatisfaction.

Loosing the human touch ->
Well, given the unbearable heat, it's inhumane to leave the students on their own fate and I guess that if the institutes across Chennai won't do something regarding this, the heat can go to the head also. Well a cooler solution is something like the government passing a mandatory legislation that any higher education institute running in and around Chennai has to provide Air Cooled/Air Conditioned accomodation for the 4 months from April -July on request. But why wait for Media, NGO's or Government to step in? Why can't we act on our consciousness? Well, perhaps we are loosing that human touch.

No comments: