Dreamzzz, Desires n Desperation...: "Voice of the nation" or "Voice of the national Government"

May 22, 2006

"Voice of the nation" or "Voice of the national Government"

I am in habbit of reading newspapers everyday as soon as I can find one. Well, I have a subscription of The Hindu (The Indian NationalDaily) and I was pretty much satisfied with the contents it carries over the day. But, since the last few days, I am seriously considering over calling off my subscription and persuading all my colleagues and batchmates to do so. I am hugely dissapointed not to see any concerns being raised by the editors and journalist of this leading Indian daily over the recent reservation fiasco.

Today's national edition carried a front page column titled "Talks with doctors inconclusive" I want to ask that whose side you are on. Isn't it should be "Talks with the government inconclusive"? I mean don't you have any opinion of your own (or of your editors who are being paid to have an opinion of theirs?). Though I am not a pro to comment on the journalism as a whole but, I see that even print media is acting biased. The title definitely shows that you are favoring the governement policies on reservation and you are all set to brand the agitating doctors as the devils. I can't understand that why the "voice of the nation" has changed it's status to the "voice of the national governement".

In the yesterday's edition it carried an article on page 3 with bold letters that how 40 Doctors wrote a letter to complain that the AIIMS chief is supporting the anti-quota protests. Well, I can't understand that how come you completely ignore the plights of thousands of youngsters sitting in the open facing the sun, rain and police and instead you chose to gave a significant amount of coverage to these 40 of their colleagues. Though you prefer not to have an opinion, I
believe that no communication is also a means of communication. The GOM report anouncement was given a space on the front page though the plight of the doctors failed to find even a corner.

I don't want to say that only Hindu is adopting the policy of "Low coverage, negative coverage, kill the news" but, I am really dissapointed with it's negative coverage policy. I am wondering now, that even the so called messiah, the guardians of freedom of speech can be manipulated so easily then, it's better not to read a newspaper then buy one and get misleaded.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hindu's editor N.Ram was a former SFI activist n is an ardent cuba fan n communist.so his publication;s hindu n frontline r stickng to communist stand on this issue.likewise prannoy roy of ndtv is the brother in law of brinda karat..so again might b skewed reports..-san