Dreamzzz, Desires n Desperation...: We are all slave to our habits..

Jan 15, 2007

We are all slave to our habits..

“The future of a person depends on the kind of habits they have. And we all are creator of our habits”. Among those million two liners from Navjot Singh Sidhu, this has somehow managed to grab my mindshare for long. We all agree about the thing about individual habits but then how many of us have tried changing our habits in let’s say past one year? Anyways talking about myself, I really have tried changing some of my old time habits (I don’t smoke or drink so considerably it should have been easier for me) but I can honestly acknowledge this fact that I have failed miserably.

It’s a cruel reality that over a period of time subconsciously we all become slave of our habits. Even a simple habit like lying down while studying is hard to change, forget about the other strong things like smoking, drinking or even getting up late in the morning. Many people end up making resolutions like going for a walk early in the morning or eating breakfast daily but then my experience suggests that it’s really hard to change even simple things in our lives.

Well the important thing I want to highlight is that though we may find ourselves incapable to change these things and instead learn to live with them I think that we miss out on the hard fact that in a way we loose control over our lives. The stronger a habit becomes, the lesser control we have on our lives. This lack of control sometime plays with our conscious mind too and it reflects in poor utilization of our time and sometime poor decision making. Well, it happens in those cases also when we are exposed to a particular life style and we try to develop certain habits like being friendlier, going out more frequently, being impulsive or may be smoking and drinking also. Now, it starts casually but then it takes over your personality after some time and people may feel guilty, stressed or tensed over their incapability to launch a restore operation.

But then, after all we ourselves are creator of our habits and the only thing is that we have to learn not to give up. We should know that if we are capable of developing a certain habits then let it be the solution to the same problem. We do not actually need to change our habits as it is a demanding process rather with a little bit of expert counseling and help we can always inculcate another habit which offset the negative effect of the other one. This is one area where I think that knowledge of group dynamics, motivation, attitude, perception and human psychology can help. And even if the theoretical understanding proved to be of no help, then what are friends for? Well, so my idea is that work on just one good habit of choosing the right people in your life and you will never regret.

Humour**
Somebody please help me with my habit of blabbering continuously. I really have become slave of it or may be it is too much of listening to Sidhuism. As the master so the disciple.

No comments: