Dreamzzz, Desires n Desperation...: Living in a world of Acronyms..

Jan 20, 2006

Living in a world of Acronyms..

If i have to sum up the life at SLIET in one line, perhaps my write up will be "it's full of funny acronyms". It Starts with the name itself. SLIET: Sant Longowal Institute of Engineering and Technology. Another version which finds acceptibility with most of the students is like Students Life in Endless Troub**.

Today was officially my first activities day of this last semester in college. And keeping in tandem with my sleeping schedule, i woke up at around 12 noon. For some it might seems crazy but, friends this is the GCS standard time (GCS: Read Graduate Degree in Computer Science). Most of my friends love to attend morning lectures but for few of us the day starts at 12 (ofcourse i lost my record in last semester to my friends Sanjeev and Ravi but nevertheless, I know i am here to stay.) Computer science students are considered to be the laziest of all but most of us shrug this allegation as it's just a propaganda against we boys to alienate us from the damsels of our course. And if the numbers of hours spent web browsing (it is no secret what we browse actually) is any sort of indication then, perhaps, we work like dogs. 60-70 hours a week and, we are loving it.

The most exciting of days here are the days before 'TECHFEST', our annual technical festival. I remember that there was a notice put up which read like " the screening for the cultural event will be held at 4:XX hours in 'SAC'". Those who are familiar with slang they might have started laughing and for those who are not ('SAC'- bed). Well the 'SAC' means STUDENT ACTIVITIES CENTER. And almost all the rehearsals/screening/shortlisting is done there. Then we have Chief warden director Ma'm,(title exclusively confirred to the our Exdirector's wife by the girls students), Workshop 'CUM' Tool design room, (I am leaving it to the readers to discover the funny part). Than we have 'DISCO'- Discipline committee (Recently developed by those who want to show off that they have read "Five Point Someone" by Chetan Bhagat. We have subjects like SAD, SOM, TOM, ADA (product of genious minds who always love things shortened of their actual size).

This is not the end. You got to hear people talking about SRK, AB (Big B sounds too Big that's why..) AK (for me it was difficult to comprehendin the begining but, i recently discovered that the reference was made towards Amir Khan). Man i feel like a freak at times when someone tells me that the next lecture is of PC (A professor's name and not a subject's) and DPS is not here (obviously it is not meant as the school chain but again it's a professor's initials). Few days back when i was working on a wordlist (I am a CAT aspirant and hey!! CAT is a well known and a nationally accepted acronym right?), i got myslef puzzled but not over the word but over a friend's suggestion who, asked me to refer a DRY (Dictionary.. )..
I love you all friends , you made me feel the limitless creativity that exist all around me.
Thanx Slietians..(another acronym ofcourse).

No comments: