Dreamzzz, Desires n Desperation...: Grade Conscious..

Feb 20, 2007

Grade Conscious..

So finally the dilemma is over. Grades for the second trimester are out. Last time it took only few days before the grades were announced, this time it took a little longer. But the irony is that last time, the shitty feeling that you normally get after getting grades stayed for a little longer than this time. My god! it's only 6 hours from the announcement and for most of the us, the feeling is long gone. So I guess we are all either becoming too professional or too unconcerned.

I remember this trimester starting with a small debate against forming a marks cartel and then out of all people I was blamed to be grade conscious. Man, I remember how emotions came out pouring down from everywhere, every corner and even some of the best of my friends went all the way to convince me very sweetly that I was wrong and what I was doing was essentially a marks cartel.

A sneak peak into my engineering days and my grade consciousness:-
I never tried to find out my rank there as I knew that out of 60 odd people I will be somewhere between 30th and 40th students. My father never enquired about my rank and I never mentioned it to him. 70% was an illusion (for students like me) kind of thing and I was surprised to receive honours on my grade sheet as somehow I managed to crawl past the 70% barrier. I ended with 70.013%. So, the idea is that marks or grades never really mattered to me not in school, neither in college and was surprised to learn that people (some of the close friends here) thought that all I care about are grades.

Well, so my wise classmates made sure that no such formation of marks cartel can take place and they lived happily attending one group meeting for one subject and four other meetings for four different subjects. Time and again, our HR professor tried to prove her point that we should focus on team building approach and not just waste our time and energy over resolving group issues and scheduling meetings. But then, MBA teaches you also that "HOW NOT TO BELIEVE OR TRUST YOUR PEERS".

I was branded grade conscious (which anybody who knows even a single bit of me will strongly object to)and I am thinking now that what was it which brought me 3.4/4.0 GPA. Was it my hard work? I am not sure for that as I don't know such a word like (Hard Work) existing in my daily vocabulary. Can't attribute any specific reasons to this jump in grades (from 3.27 - 3.4) except that there is a strong positive correlation between the number of hours (in excess over last trimester) I spent napping this trimester and the improvement in the grades. Also, I went to more number of movies, shopped more and then played computer games for more and more.
Last but not the least, I remember this famous quote from one of my classmate that "Books don't help much, in the end the only thing that helps is your brain". I guess that clicked for me fine.

No comments: