Dreamzzz, Desires n Desperation...: Summers..Surprise..

Feb 23, 2007

Summers..Surprise..

I woke up at 10 'o' clock in the morning as it was an unusual friday with the whole day off (academically only as you have whole lot of assignments and cases piled up for the weekend). I asked one of the placement reps that can I bunk one of the interviews as I wanted to sleep some more but got a No for an answer. So it's time to kickstart another day. Got up from bed, took a bath, spent 15 minutes on cleaning up the 3 day stubble from my face and then dressed up in the formal wear and excitedly climbed three flight of stairs down to reach the interview hall.

Well this is the company where I don't want to go actually and I applied to it seriously because I wanted to keep backup as well as I was thinking about being a parasite on finance guyz. But then, given all my friends are placed, so that leaves me with no any options other than to take the interview (half heartedly) and on the other hand pray (whole heartedly) that these people don't make a hiring mistake. Anyways, I came with three button suit on in blistering summer heat of Chennai to hear that I am out of placement process as I have been selected by some company.

Should I feel happy that I am placed without an interview? Or should I feel sad that I didn't get a chance to get into the company that I thought? Should I feel happy for the brand (relative term) or rather feel sad that I got a sales profile? What was in my CV which they saw and which was not there in anybody else's CV? So, it was a surprise but I am not sure whether a good one or bad one. My prof. says that a part of growing up is to make your own decisions and to be ready to face the consequences. I didn't decide that this company won't pay stipends, I didn't decide their selection process and I didn't decide that I won't be getting the liberty of knowing about the company and the job profile from the horse's mouth, I didn't decide about not holding any interviews and I did not decide about behind the scene activities. Well, I decided about only one thing and that was to apply for this company thinking that they will atleast fulfil some basic expectations of the summer interns.

Anyways, so here I am, willing to take on the world and to face the consequences of not only of the decisions that I made but also for those decisions which were made by others assuming that they are being generous in working in the students' interest. Anyways, I am well prepared to work in sales selling things and working with some of the people whose institutes do not demand high CAT %iles for admission but still make sure that their students should be treated well in companies.

Well, I am seriously happy for myself that I have a challenging offer waiting for me this summer and something which I always dreaded to do. But this is not a story of individual. This is the story of summer placements where all the things point to a similar trend that everyone wants cheap labour and beggars better not be chosers. Some HR implications are there. I am happy I am growing up..

No comments: